Friday, June 24, 2011

Day 8

Friday, our last day of work. Another orthopedist and his team came last night, so Dad got to be in the OR instead of the clinic today. And the new team included a nurse anethetist, so between Dr. Tym, the nurse, and Jonathan, we easily ran two rooms. It went much faster today; we got out of the OR at 2. I was happy I got to scrub and assist my last day on the job. It won't be legal for me to scrub once we get back to the States. ): And I was just getting good, too. I've really loved the OR experience down here. I am so fortunate that I have been allowed to do the things I have. I've gotten to see so many things I never would have in the US, and not just in the operating room. I truly am fortunate and blessed to have been here in Haiti. I'll miss operating. I'll miss Haiti. Our last surgery was killer. We have been having a lot of problems with the power down here. Everything randomly shuts off. Luckily, some of the supervital equipment like the anethesia machine are run on a separate battery. However, the anesthesia machine did die during a proceedure yesterday, when Dr. Tym wasn't around to fix it. Stacey sent me running though the hospital to the recovery room, where Dr Tym was. I got out, "the anesthesia machine-" before he was dashing back down the hall to the OR. But I digress.
The AC died along with the lights as we were opening our last case. We were equipped with headlamps, but there was nothing to help us with the heat. The only thing I can compare the heat to is when I was biking up Table Mountain on the Wildflower this spring. (And I thought I was going to die at the time.) I'm pretty sure I was quite close to sponateously combusting. I could feel the sweat beads running down my face, my back, my chest. And since I was scrubbed in, I couldn't do anything about it without breaking sterility and endangering the patient. Thankfully, it was a short case and it did not require x-rays. I was so glad we didn't have to don the lead vests. It's a pity that it was my last surgery. I would have lingered a little more if I hadn't been so desperate to rip off the surgical gown and bolt to the shower.
I got a painting! It's really neat. It's colorful and just what I wanted. The artist, Noel, had a LOT of incredibly pretty paintings. If I had all the money in the world (the pieces are pretty expensive), I would buy many, many more. He also had some animals made out of pianted metal and wooden boxes and neckalces. Daddy was nice and didn't haggle with him over the price of the painting, so he gave us a box for free. The paintings were done on just a piece of old canvas, stained around the edges and a little ragged. But I like it that way. It's so...Haitian. They use everything. (And besides, it will look just fine framed.)
And when in Rome, do as the Romans. While doing a hip adductor release yesterday, we used sticks from the yard to stablize the cast.(: That's not something you see in every surgery.
This week has not been one of good fashion statements. The humidity is doing marvelous things for my hair, and I'm usually clothed in damp scrubs. Dad was thinking that they should make missionary scrubs for places like Haiti. Wicking fabric, lightweight, quick-drying....you could totally market that.
It's really too bad that we are leaving on Sunday. It's been an incredible experience and one I'll never forget. I'll make sure that we plan a return trip. I've loved being here with Dad in this polar opposite to my own environment. The Haitian reality is just starting to become my own.

But I've really, really missed vegimeat.

-Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment