Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 5

Last night Dr. Tym administered anesthesia to Mimi the cat for the removal of her sutures from her recent spaying. Just another satisfied petient.(: Today was great! It was an OR day, and I got to scrub in for three cases. IT WAS SO COOL. The first one, I mostly just watched JJ, another Haitian scrub tech. I assisted on the second case (using retractors to hold the tissue open, etc), and worked the back table on the third (handing over instruments, loading scalpels and sutures, etc). I loved it. This is why I came here. Well, I came to help the hospital and the patients, but specifically, I wanted to be scrubbing.(: I made a few mistakes, but luckily they were before the actual opening and I had time to remedy the problem.
The second surgery was HOT. The OR is air-conditioned, but it's still a gazillion degrees. Especially with this case: we were using the C-arm to take x-rays, so each of us had to be wearing a lead vest. The vest is unsterile so it is worn underneath the sterile surgical gown. That meant I couldn't take the vest off for the duration of the surgery, about 3 hours. And on top of that, the light was shining directly on me. But it was so much fun operating with my dad, I didn't notice it as much as I thought I would.
Tomorrow is another clinic day, but there are three surgeries sceduled. I don't know where I will be placed or who the surgeon will be. I'm not super thrilled at the thought of doing what I did yesterday, the previous clinic day, but today was worth it. Thursday is our next OR-only, non-clinic day.
It has been dumping rain on us today, but only in short bursts. There's lighting right now, but it's far enough away that I can't hear the thunder.
Those cold showers.....they're getting colder every night, I tell you.
Oh, and Zachri? I haven't seen any more of Mr. Creepo in two days.(:
Tonight we're ordering pizza from the hotel. Normally I wouldn't eat pizza....but I've been eating food out of a pouch. I think I can indulge tonight.

-Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment