Monday, June 20, 2011

Day 4

The light show last night was incredible! And the rain made it significantly cooler. Selfishly, I was so glad, beacause I felt clean for more than 10 minutes after my shower. But I can't imagine how the people in the tents manage.
Today wasn't as exciting as I had hoped it would be. Dad helped in the clinic, but I don't know enough French to translate or enough medicine to administer treatment. So I was shunted to the OR, which I would have normally enjoyed. But there were only three surgeries today, and Jeanty, a Hatian scrub tech, was working. So I spent 2 hours organizing sutures and another 3 hours organising implants as well as some other odd jobs. Not super thrilling, but I suppose it had to be done by someone eventually. Mission work is about helping where there is help needed, not where I want to help.
You can tell that the hospital is really starting to recover by the number of Haitian staff members there are. And not just translators. I'm almost positive that all the floor nurses are Haitian. Their uniforms are the old-school kind: white skirts, jackets, and stockings, and little, white, starched hats. There is at least one Haitian anesthesiologist that I know of, and at least one surgeon. I'm glad that Hopital Adventiste can provide stable, although cheap, jobs for these people. At least they can rely on having a job tomorrow.
Mimi is very talkative. She yowls lous enough for me to hear down the hall when Amy leaves her in her room. Mimi's story is actually another incredible Haitian survival story. She was found in the hospital basement as a kitten, and Amy and her husband adopted her. They don't think she's ever actually left the hospital in her whole life. I like her.
It's darkening and the clouds are rolling in. I predict another thunderstrom tonight, although it was as hot as ever during the day.

-Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment